Thursday, June 14, 2012

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Apparently, just maintaining a good grade point average is not enough for San Diego State University. Despite the two Bs and an A I got this past semester and a cumulative grade point average of 3.17, I have not maintained "satisfactory academic progress." San Diego State University emailed me that I have exceeded the maximum allowed units required for financial aid eligibility. Because of the thirty plus years I've been taking college credits and the fact that I've changed majors three times (from dance, to computer science, and now psychology) I have earned more than the number of credits one needs to graduate from college. One hundred and forty seven credits I have earned throughout my college career and I guess San Diego State University objects to that. I do have an appeals process I can utilize, which I have done, but I'm really getting sick of college. I used to love school and I still enjoy learning new things but I am so sick of the arrogance of college professors and now this slap in the face. So, basically, what it all means is that I will have to pay out of pocket for the remainder of the time I need to graduate from San Diego State IF my appeal does NOT go through. I expect it to be approved however, since it's very clear that I still need thirty-nine college units to complete my bachelor's degree in psychology. It's a power struggle between the "professional student" and the college profs who want you to complete a course of study their way and not your own way. Yeah, well, I've always been one to insist on doing things my own way. I managed to graduate from high school without courses like calculus and physics because of the number of credits I had in other courses and I just needed to take a general math course to fulfill the math requirement for a high school diploma. It's been thirty plus years of skirting the math anxiety issue that I have. I actually believe that I have a math learning disorder, which is a real thing documented in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology. I've never had the test for learning disorders but I know that it takes me twice as long to grasp mathematical concepts. I eventually can learn them, I'm just really, really slow at it. I mean, I got As in Algebra but never took a Geometry course and College Algebra was way too fast paced for me and I eventually dropped the course before it would show on my transcript. The math issue is one of the reasons why I didn't continue in the computer science degree. Of course the bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome was a big factor as well. The professor in the college algebra course assigned vast amounts of homework and my grade was partially based on the homework completed. I, physically, could not do all the homework because a)hand writing is painful after five minutes, and b)it was all on computer and clicking a mouse for more than 2 hours sent me over the edge of pain management. So, I was stuck between a hard place and a rock. My brain requires extra time on math problems but my physical body is too broken to accomplish what I need in the proper amount of time. I had gotten to the place in my education where I had taken all the courses I could before the prerequisites required that I complete a calculus and/or a physics course. I didn't place high enough on a math entrance exam to take a calculus or physics course because I had skipped all that in high school, and the higher level computer courses required calculus and physics to have been completed. So, I switched to psychology and have been taking the classes required for that degree and here comes SDSU and shuns me for having too many credits. Oh well. The way I look at it is this: if God is really in this decision of mine to get a bachelor's degree in psychology, then He will make a way for it to get done. Whether it is by an approval of the appeal of the "satisfactory academic progress" standing or just financial resources to pay my tuition, I will remain trusting in the Lord and keep putting one foot in front of the other towards the completion of my educational goals. I remain God Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment