Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

I decided to switch purses for Thanksgiving.  It’s part of my “outfit”.  It’s funny that I automatically think of what I’m going to wear whenever I know I’m going somewhere.  Anyway… I found my old cell phone case and it is PERFECT for my new iPhone.  It’s got an outside ID holder for my bus pass, and slots  for credit cards and a little pouch where I can put my stamps and coins.  It goes with the purse because it’s orange and my purse is a darker orange, like a pumpkin color. 

I’m so happy because the little case I bought (from Korea!) didn’t have enough space for all my  IDs, credit cards and bus pass.  I’m just bummed that I forgot about the orange cell phone purse I have had for  at least ten years and bought the case from Korea.  I'm not sure what it will cost to return it but really not sure if it's worth the bother.  It was less than $20.

So… I didn’t start this piece with the intention of talking about my silly little purse.  The point is that I found something, well, a lot of things, while I was switching from one purse to another.  I found this little paper that had all these, basically, negative affirmations, but titled “False Beliefs.”
I must meet certain standards to feel good about myself (the Performance Trap).
I must be approved by certain others to feel good about myself (Approval Addict)
Those who fall (including myself) are unworthy of love and deserve to be punished.  (Blame Game)
I am what I am I cannot change. I am hopeless. (Shame)

And I thought, “What?” Why was I carrying around these negative phrases?  Then I  turned the card over.  There were positive affirmations on the other side.  So, the point of all this is that if I fill my mind with the positive instead of the negative,  my thought life will be much more peaceful.  Maybe this way I can show the love of God to everyone instead of the uptight, neurotic mess I usually am.

So those “false beliefs” become:

I am therefore completely forgiven by and fully pleasing to the Father.  I no longer have to be perfect.  Romans 5:1

I am totally accepted by God.  I no longer have to fear rejection.  Colossians 1:21-22

I am deeply loved by God.  I no longer have to fear punishment or punish others.
1 John 4:9-11

I am a new creation in Christ.  I have been made brand-new and complete in Him and no longer need to experience the pain of shame.  John 3:3-6

Today. I am thankful for my loving, heavenly Father who watches over me and holds me, with all my issues and shortcomings, in His holy hands. 

Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment